- 1. Writing Definitions
1. Writing Definitions
Key Words: Definitions, term, class, differentiating characteristics
- 2. Structuring paragraphs
2. Structuring paragraphsKey words: general-to-specific expository paragraph, paragraph unity, paragraph structure, example, cause and effect, process analysis, definition, comparison and contrast, classification.
- 3. Coherence and Cohesion
3. Coherence and CohesionKey words: Coherence, cohesion, paragraph unity, sentence cohesion, parallel structure.
- 4. Features of Academic Writing (Complexity &Formality)
4. Features of Academic Writing (Complexity &Formality)
Key words: complexity, formality, levels of formality, nominal groups, subordinate clauses, complement clauses, participles, lexical density, nominalization.
- 5. Hedging
- 6. Cause and effect
6. Cause and effect
Key words: cause, effect, cause and effect vocabulary, cause and effect essay structure.
- 7. Making comparisons
7. Making comparisons
Key words: comparison, contrast, comparative, superlative, similarities, differences, compare/contrast essay structure
- 8. Citing Sources / Avoiding Plagiarism
8. Citing Sources / Avoiding Plagiarism
Key words: citation, plagiarism, reference list, in-text references, CSE, citation sequence, citation name.
- 9. Paraphrasing
Key words: paraphrasing, plagiarism, direct quotation.
- 10. Graphs and charts
10. Graphs and charts
- 11. Writing a lab report
11. Writing a lab report
Key words: laboratory report, lab report format, background information, hypothesis, purpose, procedures, tables and figures, description of data, discussion section, in-text citations, end-text references, cover page, title.
- 12. Writing a Critical Review
12. Writing a Critical Review
- 13. Writing a scientific article
13. Writing a scientific article
- 14. Making a presentation
14. Making a presentation
Key words: presentation, audience, preparation, body language, text, bullet points, graphics, color combinations.
- 15. Writing a CV/Personal statement/Cover letter
15. Writing a CV/Personal statement/Cover letter
Key Words: CV, Curiculum vitae, personal statement, cover letter